Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza
Ingredients for Pizza dough:
1 packet (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
*If you haven't tried whole wheat just yet and are not ready to jump in. Try mixing up the whole wheat and all purpose flour to ease into it. Instead of using 3 cups whole wheat flour, use 2 cups Whole Wheat with 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour.
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Pour yeast over mix and let sit for 10 minutes. (or until foamy)
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour. (You would add the 1 cup of the all-purpose flour now if you choose to do so.)Mix until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes.
Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for another hour, until doubled.
4. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan and precook crust for 4-5 minutes.
Then add your sauce and toppings. You can use, fresh spinach, mozzarella, mushrooms, fresh cherry tomatoes, and more mozzarella and you have one DIVINE pizza!
5. Reduce heat to 425 degrees F and continue to cook pizza for 10-14 minutes depending on thickness of crust.
Cut and ENJOY!!
This was a major hit in the McKay household! We did a create your own pizza night and had a blast! I also made the sauce with 1 can of tomato paste, 1 can of tomato sauce - (tomato and basil is great!), minced garlic, salt, sugar and pepper. The more the merrier! Esp if you have breadsticks!